*Men's Backpacking Trip (8/9-11) The Men's Ministry at Rainier Valley Church is putting together a backpacking trip on the coast. Ben Johnson is coordinating this trip. If you're interested coming, please respond to this e-mail or contact Ben Johnson directly.
*Men's Retreat - SAVE THE DATE (9/13-15) This year's Men's Retreat will be September 13-15. Please save the date. More details coming soon! If you have questions about the retreat or men's ministry, please talk with Doug Foreman.
*Leadership of Service Teams
The Board of Deacons at Rainier Valley Church will be taking a leadership role in each of the five service teams. Board Members will be reaching out to schedule, coordinate, and administrate the details of each of the service teams.
Alpha Service Team Leader - Jason Lischke
Bravo Service Team Leader - Jesse Epperson
Charlie Service Team Leader - Lucas Clements
Delta Service Team Leader - Yee Feng
Echo Service Team Leader - Samuel Bretz
--Sermon and Study Questions
Making Sense of Church "Love - Mission"
Listen, watch, or download the latest message at https://rainiervalleychurch.com/latest-sermons
Making Sense of Church sermon series has been designed to answer the practical questions about what the church is and why we're called to be an active part of a local church as Jesus-followers. Join us as we seek to discover what it means to love Jesus and be his people.
Making Sense of Church Week #7 (Various Passages) "Love - Mission"
“Because God loves us, Rainier Valley Church exists to glorify God, to love one another, and to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ as we serve our neighbors and the nations.”
Because God loves us...(1 John 4:9-10)
Why is it essential that the Christian life starts with God's love for us and not our commitment to do better and try harder? How would you explain God's initiating love show in the Gospel to someone who thinks the Christianity is only about being religious? How do you experience the love of God in the Christian life? Why is it important for others to understand the love of God in Christ Jesus?
..Rainier Valley Church exists to glorify God...(1 Cor 10:31)
How would you explain to someone who isn't from a church background what it means to glorify God and why it's significant for someone to build their life around this goal? If someone isn't glorifying God, what or who are they glorifying with their life? What ways of thinking, feeling, and acting might not be in alignment with your whole life glorifying God?
..to love one another...(John 10:34-35)
Meditate on a few of these one another passages in scripture and consider how your life aligns with these commands.
1. “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love…” (Romans 12:10) Are you devoted to others with brotherly affection?
2. “…Serve one another in love.” (Galatians 5:13) Are you serving others? Are you motivated by love?
3. “Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.” (Galatians 5:26) Is there envy in you?
4. “…Be patient, bearing with one another in love.” (Ephesians 4:2) Who do you need to be patient with?
5. “Be kind and compassionate to one another…” (Ephesians 4:32) How can you demonstrate compassion?
6. “…Forgiving each other…” (Ephesians 4:32) Who do you need to forgive and why?
7. “…In humility consider others better than yourselves.” (Philippians 2:3) How can you grow in humility?
8. “Do not lie to each other…” (Colossians 3:9) What ways might you be tempted to lie to others?
9. “…Encourage each other…” I Thessalonians 5:11) How can you be encouraging those around you?
10. “…Pray for each other.” (James 5:16) Who do you need to be praying for regularly and why should you pray?
..and to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ... (2 Timothy 4:1-2)
Think of two or three people in your life that don't know, love, and follow Jesus right now. How is the Gospel good news to each of them and how would you explain it as good news to them given their situation and personality? Why is it important to preach the Gospel and not just simply show it through our actions? How do you regularly preach the Gospel to yourself when you are wrestling with unbelief?
...As we serve our neighbors and the nations. (Acts 1:8)
How does Jesus call the disciples to local, regional, and global ministry and why does this matter to us as well? What ways are we personally helping to minister locally, regionally, and globally? Why is it essential that we minister in the power of the Spirit and not the flesh? How do you tell the difference between when you're ministering in the Spirit and in the flesh? What are some ways you've seen the power of the Spirit in your life lately?